Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hats off to coaches in the Philippines

I made my way to Ultra again yesterday afternoon for a second training session. While warming up I was sitting across a man who was busy with the same warm up stretches. The coach was sitting in front giving instruction and helped where we got the stretches wrong. I was keeping an eye on the man across from me and thought by myself. Here is a man most probably in his fifties who is well known in the Philippines and is giving so much to the running community. This entry is about these guys whom I noticed coming from another country who will offer up their own in order for the sport to succeed and go forward in this country.

The man I am referring to is Sir Jovie, aka baldrunner. At the previous training session a week ago, my first session I went to I asked him about running in the Philippines and I was amazed by the efforts he makes in order to promote running here in the Philippines. He is involved in donating running attire, getting coaches to coach runners and so many more that we don't even know of and then he is even asked to help in the promoting of Olympics for the Philippines and also the endurance running in the Philippines. I could not believe that one person can put so much effort in for the gain of others. He is certainly one person to look up to and then he is such a humble person as well.

The trainig I am talking about is the clinic he offers free of charge to runners. Thanks baldrunner for your effort and also a huge thanks to the trainers. If you want to know more about the trainers as they are highly qualified you can read more on Baldrunner's site.



This is our training group with Team Baldrunner.

Another person which I would like to mention that also started a clinic for runners is no other than the future president sana Mr. Rio. Here is a man that knows a lot about all aspects of running. I can seriously call him any time of the day for any advice in running and he is willing to help me. He even helps me with my Tagalog. I was caught once in a nike shop between a few choices and the staff was not able to help me due to a lack of product knowledge so who are you going to call??? Not Ghostbusters but the running buster Rio. He was able to give me sound advice and 5 minutes later I left the store with the correct attire. Then coming to knowledge on how to organize a race successfully, one can ask Rio with confidence to do it or to give advice. I can only speak highly of him. Then there is the running clinic aid that he started. This is another sign of where he wants to offer up his own by giving and donating to the world of running for the sport to be a success in the Philippines. From feedback of other bloggers, his workshop is just like his races a huge success.

This is what I am getting at. I would like to make a hand of suggestion. Can we as bloggers bring ourselves to the table by helping with this effort of promoting running. I know you all are already by blogging but do an extra effort. Even if it is just by joining at least one fo the two running clinics of Rio or team baldrunner. They won't mind which one as this does not seem to be competition but more giving back to running and helping others. I wished I could divide myself in two and send one to the one group and one to the other as I am sure they are both brilliant and we can lear a lot. Can we also promote their running clubs to new runners as it will help them a lot with technique to learn from the beginning of their running career. Let's join and get people to join these running clinics or even pay them by joining their clubs permanently. We can also help by promoting things like the donate a shoe as so many of you have done on your blogs. And then lastly, I would like to organize with the help of Rio and Sir Jovie a bloggers run where we as bloggers can also give back to the community. It will be only way after the Singapore but any ideas would be helpful as well as any sponsors. Let's put the money and resources where our mouths are and make this one a success as well. We can then be introduced to the Philippines as the world of blogging. I also think that we should maybe go as far as start a body for bloggers whereby the blogs can be quite controlled or a list be if someone wants to know about blogging in the running world in the Philippines. I will speak to Jaymie about this as she is the one and only blog celebrity in the Philippines.

So bring the advice, ideas and brainstorming to the table and let's put on a run never to forget in the history to come of running in the Philippines. Please raise your glasses in a salute to the two icons I have mentioned and to all that are doing their part to promote running locally.

KEEP FIT!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

philip, nice post. thanks for those kind words. what is important is for us to enjoy running and compete with ourselves in order to get the best from us. good luck on your run & keep on running faster

Bro J said...

Hi bro Philip, nice training with you last Friday at the ULTRA and hope to see you again. God bless on your ministry bro!

JavyO said...

Philip,

Count me in!