Monday, November 24, 2008

Unicef - Frustrating but yet fulfilling and worth every second or hour or so

So here we are, the whole family at Mckinley Hill and for once I am not feeling battered because of McKinley!!! Yep, I am going to do my very first 2km walk... I think the biggest struggle was to get the kids into bed early hte night before. And as the case with Jaymie, the kids was excited and the youngest (Philip jnr) told me:"Daddy I am going to win tomorrow, right" So if I would have the answer... But being encouraging parents we did not talk it down nor did I encourage speech like that, it was just we shall see Boeta (which means little brother in Afrikaans - his nickname), we shall see.
We arrived with the complete family and saw the end of the tail of the 10km runners starting and then the 5km runners. It was once we saw the first runners come in when my heart went out to them and longing for the open road seeing that I did not train since Wednesday due to taking our kids with their school class to the zoo on Friday (my birthday woowoo).
The feeling quickly changed when I saw the face of my little boy change when the robots of star wars and the jeti fighters came to the starting line. We took some pics and he has to look at the pic every night before he goes to bed. I think it is his coolest pic ever. It made the going and do the 2km walk all worth it. One of the coolest pics for me ever is Levy in his spiderman outfit. Great brother you looked excellent. Pogi na pogi!!! Sobre.



The new famous picture for Boeta



And here is my newest hero Spiderlevy
Well after some pic taking and thanks to all that came for picture taking with us as a family and our little ones, I can show a lot of photos to friends and family in South Africa so dont be surprised if someone phone you from South Africa and ask you to play in a movie ... :) After the photos we started our 2km walk. The kids could not understand why we started walking if it is a race. I think they were content by the fact to just dress up for the occasion so it did not take much to satisfy them.




The le Roux family


The le Roux's in action (I think my wife Vina is pointing to a short cut???)

The men of the family
It was when Jaymie aka bullrunner came running past with her girl (such a sweety and thanks for the pic) that Boeta said :"Dad why are we not running, they just want to beat us". I wonder where he got his competitiveness from? After the water station we decided to make a sprint for it and it was then when I saw the speed of my oldest daughter and now I have new plans for her... hmmm wonder what that might be, girls be carefull in a few years time...



The kids on stage after the race but got beaten by the new found hero of the foreignrunner which deserves the pize for the best dressed person, Mr. Levy and his spidergirl.

Met a lot of freinds (bloggers) as I call them friends by now as they are becoming like family and sometimes even better as they share the same love with me. (I must add we in SA is not as family orientated as the Philippino people).
All in all what a wonderfull organised race as ussual. This just makes me want to promote Rio more and more for president. I think he is able and I believe the elections is close. Is there anyone that can help me print his banner so we can put it up at the next races he organise?
The kids realy enjoyed it so much and it was a great family outing. thanks Rio and I hope there are many to come as my great friend Levy has put it. It was also nice and easy to put the kids in bed the same day as they had a lot of excitement for one day. I also had a bit of a problem and that was to answer my little boy where his prize was after I answered that he won. I will still work on that one as he did not ask me again so maybe I got of this time.
I want to close by asking you bloggers what you think of the idea to all come together one Saturday or so and do a nice easy run somewhere quiet and then go for a nice breakfast afterwards to close the year of? This was motioned by Nora the golden girl and I would like to second the motion? Any ideas?
Let me in the spirit of running end by "Stay fit and keep healthy!!!"

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why arent you in a costume?

I know how it feels not to run at your own pace. I do it all the time when Quennie wants to run a 10K. That's why im always excited for a 15K and above races where I can really run. Hahaha... But then, it wont be that long until Que decides to run longer distances. Haaay...

Family comes first. :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip it was your birthday recently? Happy birthday! You have a lovely family and you are a good father as well as a fantastic runner. Knowing how fast your easy runs are I hope to join you in the "really easy" run! Rio for President!

Unknown said...

Jinoe, it is hard sometimes but then again they let us run on weekends which is part of family time so it counts as family time so we all win.

PC, thanks for the birthday wishes, it will be great to do a long run with you and we can take it easy as we are not preparing for a marathon yet so we can chat the 40km away... Lets make arrangements?

Rico Villanueva said...

Philip, belated Happy Birthday. Nice family you got there. You should have dressed as Jor-El, father of Clark Kent.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Belated happy happy birthday Philip! What a great way to extend your bday celebration... running/walking with the whole family! Congratulations!!!

My kids will be joining 3k in the Yakult Run this Dec. 7 and I will run/walk with them. I hope I could be successful like you in putting them to bed early and waking them up in time for CCP complex.

How about somewhere quiet and cool like Tagaytay? If that's too far, MOA is nice.

Anonymous said...

Hi Philip. Coach Rio coming up with the idea of the 2K walk is tremenduous. I would like to see it more here in the States. Nothing against competitve races but family activities are important.

The photos.......awesome! Your family and all the families that participated will help the event grow more.

BTW, Happy belated birthday! Please take care.

Bro J said...

Belated happy birthday bro! What a wonderful and lovely family you have! Great picture of Super Boeta with the Storm Troopers! It was really nice to have a great time with our families. God bless you and your family! Hope to see you around!

run unlimited said...

Hi Philip, that was a fantastic family day. Belated happy birthday and congratulations. See you again.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday Philippus! May God abundantly shower you and your ministry with His blessings. May you have more running, cycling, swimming and more importantly Pastoral years to come.

You are definitely blessed with a lovely family! It would have been nice if you were also in costume ala Rio.

Cheers and God bless!

Unknown said...

It was realy a special day for the family, after all running is giving back to the ones that sacrifise for us to be able to run.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bro J, hope to see you soon and thanks for the nice compliments. God bless and many blessings to your family as well.

Unknown said...

run unltd, thanks for the birthday wishes and see you at the races.

Unknown said...

Thanks Filipe. I am so glad you mentioned the pastoral side as this is the most important for me as this is the reason for me to be here. I am glad God blessed me by giving so many running friends to me which makes our stay in the Philippines so much more enjoyable. God bless and see you around.

Tech Spec said...

Happy Birthday Philip. Btw this is unfair! You had Superman race this event even if his as fast as a speeding bullet. No one could ever beat him. :)

Anonymous said...

Phillips,

Last Friday was your birthday, wasn't it? Happy belated birthday and its good to see your family joining a race...

Anonymous said...

hi!!! what a lovely family... my friends and i loved your little princess and little superman... we took pictures of them while on the stage.. we are wondering who they are... its a good thing i stumbled on your site... they're so cute...

Unknown said...

Ayesa, thank you so much for the kind comment. No problem with the pics, we should all have a pic taken together next time.

Unknown said...

Jerrie, thanks for the birthday wishes. Cant wait for tomorrow at Ultra, see you then

Unknown said...

Taki, I still have to beat him as often as possible for in a few years it will all be over... Thanks for the birthday wishes

Anonymous said...

hey philip, you have a very beautiful family. ;) belated happy birthday!

Gene Ordanza said...

Hey Philip, looks like a blockbuster family weekend for all. Great idea from Nora about coming together for an easy run on weekend. Count me in, and MOA/Fort/UP/any place really, sounds good to me.

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Philip -- belated happy birthday!!! You have a great looking family and it's great that your kids show promise in the sport. I'm envious -- still hoping to convince my family to join in the runs -- even if it they're walks!!! Congrats!!

Unknown said...

Maligayang kaarawan Philip!

It was nice seeing you and your family during the run, er, walk i mean. It's good your son didn't chase us down when he saw us running. He would've sprinted to the finish just like his daddy. :)

RUNNING DIVA said...

Hello, Philip! Happy birthday! Nice article about your "frustrating" yet fabulous two-km walk with your family. Count me in for that relaxing run... I wonder how relaxing will that be knowing almost running bloggers will be there? ... I'll support your campaign for Rio as President! :)

Unknown said...

Salamat po Jaymie, we had a great day with the kids at the zoo. The older we get the more our birthday parties is for the kids. Maybe it is a way of us avoinding the aging process... I saw your girl's sprint and that is why I decided to rather give up before I start...

Unknown said...

Roselle, thanks. Was it you that wrote the article about Ben? Will let you know about the run, I think it will be best if we wait until after the Singapore.

Gene, it will be great andw e will organise something maybe even get some sponsors to sponsor us some gear for us as bloggers. Will have to ask around as I dont know many people but will se what we can do.

Johnny I am sure they will, it just takes the first time for them to return so use your charms to get them to the first event and surely they will be hooked.

Vimz, thanks for the birthday wishes. Just read your blog and now that you are into the cycling why not try swimming and join the triathlons, the sport need women.