Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Alabang tri recap

Hi all,

let me first congratulate not only those that manage PB's (personal bests, like we know it in the western world) but also to those just finishing their respective races, whether it be your first 21k, 10k or just the 5k. Any race completed is a bonus as it is only a positive thing for the body. I missed all of you at the KOTR as running is still my first love but having to do a tri the next day, I gave the KOTR a skip. I am still not so fit or should I say crazy :) as some people (Joms) to do both. I am not worthy to speak to you yet.... :).

I am not going to lay out my different splits but will give an overview on my experience of the complete race all together:

Arriving early for my third but second official tri as I got DQ the first tri :( , I already noticed so many changes from the last. The registering and the claiming area for the packets was much more organised. It took me no longer than 2 min to be from claiming my packet than to hanging my bike. As Levy mentioned, the numbers in the transition area was even laminated and the spaces between the bikes was much more. All in all, a great start to the race.

The race briefing was done on time and explained propperly in the transition area. Great job Rick on the complete race. There was enough time for questions as well, and so it was all clear.

At the pool it lived up to the great start of the morning. It all went smoothly. There were also adequate helpers at the pool that knew their jobs respectively. Great job guys.

The cycle route was great. I would have loved to see a bit more water points (maybe just one more) for the bike leg. The reason for this is, it is a hard course as there are quite a few good uphills. For a less than average guy on the bike, I was tiring quite quickly so I used up my gatorade much quicker. Still not complaining as the marshals were great and they knew what they were doing especially in organising the traffic. Thumbs up to all of them. There was a discussuion about changing the route once mass starts at the church which got me a bit jittery but I obviously did not pass in that time frame so it was the normal route.

The run was terrible or should I say MY run was terrible. I was dehydrated halfway through. I started great and felt good untill the 3rd last km. My legs felt heavy and I felt drained. I missed the water point as I saw a guy standing in the distance. I started to prepare myself for the water and started to push it a bit more so I can make up for the time I will decrease in speed to be able to drink water. When it was time for me to be more or less close to the "water guy", I was totally shocked. It was a water boy right, just the wrong type of water boy. It was a male standing with a trolley and garbage bags, busy "watering" the plants :). I did not know whether I should laugh or cry.

I then joined up with three runners next to me once I eventually reached the correct water boy but was on the outside of the other runners and they took the water cups that was being held out. I just had to push through. Another runner joined up with me from behind and started encouraging me and that helped me a lot. It is funny how nice runners can be to each other, it is as if we are a family. I experienced real pakikisama (not sure of the spelling).

All in all, a great experience. If I had any doubts into continuing with triathlons, Rick and his crew keep on putting up great triathlons and so I get more hooked. Thank you guys for making it a great experience to us all. You definately have my thumbs up. I must also just mention the shirts is great. It is of great quality and fits great. I will definately see you all at the duo in Clark next Sunday, at least there is no swim ha ha ha...

Untill then, KEEP FIT.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Philip,
Thank you very much for dinner last night. Twas great. Thank you also for all the tips you shared. Ease up on your running so you can be fresh come Sunday.

Levy

Unknown said...

Levy, the pleasure was all ours. We enjoy your fellowship and regard you guys as some of our closest friends here in the Philippines. See you on Sunday and I will take it easy before Sunday.

Nora, the golden girl said...

Congratulations Philip! You seemed to be enjoying your TRIs so much, running is now your second love. But since your body could take the pressure and the endurance needed for this difficult sport, then I'd say GO FOR IT!

Good luck in Clark.

Unknown said...

Nora, I think running will still be my first love as it is the sport that helped me loose 30kg in three months. Thanks for the kind words. You are also doing great now with the running, who knows maybe we can even run together in a 10km? I will be doing the Octoberun on 26 October. Will I see you there?

Anonymous said...

Philip,

Great job. I wouldn't feel so bad on a 34min run split, as I struggled with a 42!

I wish I could get the same 'tips' you've been giving Levy, as it seems to have worked.

Nice meeting you.

Javy

Tech Spec said...

Hi Philip,

Congratulations on your second tri.. Hey, me and my friends are planning to do a long ride to Bugarin this coming saturday. Its a 90KM bike ride, would you like to join us? I can meet you up at the fort. Anyway you can email me at takicutie2004@yahoo.co.uk. Do you have cellphone? You can mail me your phone number.

Bro J said...

Hi Philip, congrats on your second tri. You really did a great job! We missed you at the KOTR. Hope to see you soon again! God bless!

Unknown said...

You sound so confident about your swim already. You've gone a long way from your "Pls help me if you know anything about swimming post." :)

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Javy, great to have read your blog. Nice photos and it was great to meet up with you at Alabang. Great race brother. Yep the run is not to bad but should be better as it is the strongest leg of my tri. I was a bit dehydrated though so I wont be to hard on myself. Are you going to do the duathlon? See you soon.

Taki, so sorry I cant make the bike ride as I have the duathlon the next day but please remember me next time you go out. Thanks for the invitation though. See you soon maybe Sunday at church?

bro j, I missed you guys at well. It was one of the races I did not want to miss, well that was before I was introduced to triathlons. Are you going to do the New Balance? Maybe I'll see you there. Which church do you go to?


Jaymie, I still need a lot of help with the swimming. I am doing my last TI training on Wednesday next week but I still need to exercise a lot. We only have a 10m swimming pool so that has to do for now. God bless and see you soon.

Bro J said...

Philip, i have to skip the New Balance Race. I may not be able to be back in Manila on time for our church service. I'm scheduled to lead worship on that day. Our church is Hosanna, a small home church willing to trust and obey our Lord Jesus Christ. It's at Tandang Sora, Quezon City. There will be more races where we can meet again. Who knows, i might join a TRI event, hahaha. God bless bro!

Anonymous said...

Philip, congratulations again on another TRI. I get the feeling you like swimming, biking and running.

Take care and I'll see you soon!

Anonymous said...

hi phillip,

congrats again on 3rd tri (2nd official tri finish).

nice meeting you too!

norman

Nora, the golden girl said...

Yes, Philip. I'm running 5k in the OCtobeRUN Festival with my 63-year old aunt-in-law whom I convinced to run with me, together with my 38-yr-old cousin who joined me in the KOTR.

See you there! My race bib # is 1351.

Unknown said...

Great news so I will definately see you there. All the best till then and great stuff for bringing the family along, keep it up!!!