Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My first official completed triathlon. UPLB recap

What a beautiful area indeed. I am talking about Los Banos. It is green and clean even though there are a lot of traffic, it is just different in its own way than Manila. I would like someone to explain however, where are all those private pools that the guys are advertising next to the road and if it is advertised, is it still then so private?
Levy and I arrived at UP quite early as we did'nt want to test the faith of the weather and of traffic. After receiving a text from Marga that the traffic is bad on the motorway, we decided to leave early. The race did start a bit later however but I much prefer this. My reasons are as follow:
  • One is able to wake up later in the morning and have a good night sleep before the race.
  • One can have a good meal in advance before the race to build up extra energy.
  • It is easier to remember all your gear as you have the whole morning to prepare.
  • Lastly and the most important reason, I would like to share these events with my wife and children and when it is early in the mornings, it is just impossible to take them along. With this tri, it was great as everyone could enjoy the day with me. It was great!!!

PLEASE THINK ABOUT CHANGING THE TIMES OF THE TRI's IN FUTURE!!!!



My kids could go with and they enjoyed the day

Let me recap on my experience:

Swim 21:11

I must say the TI lessons is helping, and I will recomend it to anyone. Although I was not able to swim the complete distance without stopping, was it in a way much easier when I swam freestyle. It is definately all about the technique. I felt more refresh when I came out of the water. It was a bit crowded at some times but for me being in the back, I found it much easier. I had to fight for a spot only more so often. It was also to my advantage as it was only 800m and we could dive upon reentering the pool which save some distance. After completing the swim, I had at least 5 minutes disadvantge on Levy (not that we had a bet and not because we are competitive (Yeah right) but just for the fun). My wife also counted the laps for me as I would have gotten confused should I have remembered. She aslo kindly shouted to me (in afrikaans of course so that Levy and his wife would not know she is keeping me up to speed of where he is) my time behind him.



I almost have the technique

Levy before plunging into the water


After this dive my goggles was on the back of my head.

Distances are all according to my garmin 305.

Bike 1:01:09 30.5km

I dont know what happened but I thought I was going at a steady pace but I obviously was mistaken. He is much faster than what I thought, I wont be misled again by his speed on the bike... :) . The bike route was not to bad. It was only the two ends of the lap that was a gradual incline which made it hard in a sense. Overall a relative easy bike route. There were quite a few accidents especially at the turn around point at the start of the loop. Kawawa naman sila.

This is the turning point where there were a few crashes
Run 25:27 5.34km

As I came out of transition, I heard this voice behind me... "Come on Philip, I am going to catch you". As I turned aorund, it was no one other than Mr. Levy Ang. Wow I thought, there goes my chances of beating him. He was a complete 1.5km lap ahead of me and it will cost a lot for me to make that up in 6km. I also knew he had me in the back of his head even though he say he is not competitive where I like to differ, so I knew he will not slow down. I am quite disapointed with my run though as it is a 4:46/km. I know I can go faster but for one or other reason, I gave up quite early. Dont get me wrong, it is still a good time especially after a bike and a swim but I know I can do better as I have better times in my training. So yes, Levy was just to fast for me and I could not catch him. I have still 6 swimming lessons left so be afraid, be very afraid Levy for this foreignrunner is on your heels and ready to overtake you..... Bwah bwah bwah..... No more Mr. nice guy.... :)


Second loop of the run


This is the "I know you won" look but be afraid for next time!!!


Levy on his fast run, and wow did he go!!!! I think it was even a PR for him.

Overall, it was a great triathlon. I did loose out on third in my age group by one place as I was fourth but thirteenth overall is not bad at all. I am happy with that and also the fact that I was not disqualified, so this makes it my first official triathlon....

Even though he beat me, we are still great friends (I hope so) :)

Note the photos as my wife was with me and she could take some pictures......

The route on google earth


So untill the next triathlon at Ayala Alabang, greetings from the foreignrunner and remember to KEEP FIT!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip! Congrats again on your first official triathlon. Am honored to be considered your competition, at least, in your initial foray into triathlon. I know the day will come (Oct. 12) when I will finally succumb to your greatness. Come Oct. 19 at the duathlon, I will be eating your dust. Great job on the swimming.

Levy

Unknown said...

aawww your kids are the sweetest! :)

i won't be at alabang but i will be at the clark duathlon. will you be there? :)

Anonymous said...

hi phillipi,

congrats on your official tri finish..no more DQs..

Inggit ako sa rivalry ninyo ni Levy.hehehe..It made your tri more exciting..

Hopefully, i could finally join you either in AVV or Duathlon.

congrats uli!..and i am glad that you're now taking T.I...Good move!

norman

Unknown said...

Levy, not if you run the way you ran on Saturday, it seemed like someone took away your food from you or should I say you loosing a lunch deal?!?

Marga, it is a pity that you wont do the tri next month but I will surely see you at the duathlon...

Norman, thanks for the kind words. I have to be carefull of Levy, he has a lot of hidden talents that he secretly reveal only on race day :) See you at the next tri or duathlon, come and say hi.

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip. Congratulations on the tri. Awesome! Do I sense a friendly rivalry with Levy?

Hey, take care and continued success. I'll see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Philip, nice account of the UPLB tri, its really nice reading personal accounts of triathlons, congratulations on your first completed tri, glad that you got yourself hooked, see you at the races and during training :-)
- Joma

Nora, the golden girl said...

You finally did it, Philip! Congratulations!!!
Your kids are sooooh adorable! Manang-mana sa kanilang ama at ina.
Hey, you still have time to register for the KOTR. New batches arrived yesterday at Trinoma, Megamall, Gateway and MOA.

Unknown said...

Hi Wayne,I think you can say rivalry, the only difference is i ma not yet in his class but it is good to have a goal... Maybe one day ha ha ha. See you in a few weeks i believe you will be in Manila?

Joma, I did not see your name at the UPLB, will you be at the Ayala next month?

Bro J said...

hi Philip, congratulations on your TRI. What agreat family you have! God bless! Hope to see you around!

Tech Spec said...

Hey Philip,

13th overall on your first triathlon... Wow!!! One day I'd be competing with you guys. Lets see, maybe I could try the duathlon.. hehehe

Nora, the golden girl said...

Oh, no Philip! I posted my comment 2-3 days ago...I wonder why it didn't appear here!

You finally made it, Philip. Congratulations! And to experience the whole awesome event with your loving family--that is priceless.

I will still miss you in the KOTR, Philip. If you change your mind, there are still few race bibs left. Better call first before you go to any Adidas outlet.

Congratulations again!

Unknown said...

bro j, thanks and yes I am extremely blessed with a great gift of a beautifull family. See you at the races.

Taki, yeah we still need to ride together. It will be great if you can do the duathlon. Hopefully I see you there.

Nora, I would have loved to do the Adidas but one day before a triathlon I think will be just to much, I might then struggle to much with the tri. Thank you anyway. Wilol you do the October run on the 26th? Maybe I will see you there. God bless.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! I love the "I know you won" photo. Seemed like "I'll get you next time" to me. Did you notice that Levy's wife was watching you? :)

Your kids are adorable!

Congrats again Philip :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment on my kids. Looking again I saw she is was looking. Hard to read her expression though, will have to ask her OOPS... I am more concerned why my wife will take a photo of me at this crucial point???