Sunday, October 19, 2008

Clark duathlon update - as flat as my bycicle tyre

Went to bed early last night as I was told that this upcoming duathlon is more my type of event. Believing them, I thought I will need all the rest I can get. I bought a triathlon book last week called "Triathlon 101" and thought I will follow some of the tips in there. I decided to taper last week and did fewer mileage, I ate right, I did the carbo loading and so all that was needed according to the book was to pack the correct gear the night before and have a good sleep.

I did it all to the t. Got up early this morning, at 2:30 to be exact as Levy and I was going to drive in convoy to Clark. I am a new to the area so need someone to always show me around, who better to ask than Levy? Bless his good heart! I met him at the people power monument on Edsa drive at 3:30. We had such a good drive and I quite enjoyed driving on the northern expressway. Before we knew it, we were in Clark and collecting our start packs.

I prepared my kit, attached my numbers to the helmet and bike, I even got my new water and gel bottle from Levy. Yeah, it is a water and gel bottle. It is so cool. If the pop button is in and you squeeze it, the energy gel comes out and when you open the pop button, the gatorade comes out. So I filled my new bottle and went to the transition area. I was quite amazed to find out there are hardly anything to pack out in the transition area. We all went to the race briefing, listened to the course and did our last minute adjustments. Off to the start.......

This is where it all went bad. I turned on my garmin 305 on the way to the start and it could not get signal?!? After a few minutes, the gun shot sounded and we were off. Instead of fighting with my garmin I switched it off. I turned it on again and thought I will leave it until it starts up and then record the details from there. I was off with a great pace. Others were zooming off and I could not even confirm my pace on my garmin to see if I am slow or if they are crazy. I caught up with most of them on the first lap. The first 10 km consisted of four 2.5 km laps. There was a slight uphill in the beginning but then downhill all the way. It felt like I was flying through the run and it all went well again.

Just before entering the bike area, I saw my watch is up and running so I grabbed my bike and started my exercise recording. I was flying out with the bike. I read in the triathlon book all about drafting because it did not make sense to me before. How can you not draft if someone is in front of you and drive the same speed than you. Then you even have to compete with oncoming traffic and Jeepney's and then there are even pedestrians??? I tried to keep my distance behind a driver in front of me and as I thought I have enough in the legs to overtake, I went through a pot hole. Once I hit the pot hole I thought, oops, something must have given away. About 1 km further my thoughts came true. My rear tyre was flat. I cruised all the way back leaning on the front tyre to not damage the rim. Back at the bike area, I dismounted and pumped up the rear tyre to maybe just be lucky once but to no avail. The tyre was finished. There goes my great start. Just 10 km on the bike. I placed the bike on the rack and put on my running shoes. I thought I drove out all the way to Clark so I might as well finish with the last 5 km run. I put my head down and had a run of 20 min and some seconds to spare even though it was not a full 5 km. I am still happy with my running times.

So there you have it. My first tri I got disqualified by taking the incorrect bike route. My first duathlon I did not finish due to a flat tyre. I dont know what new things I want to start after this. I only know one thing - I am excited for the first duathlon next year just to make up for today!

I at least had a great time after my 5 km run. I took some gatorade and Biccardi sweat from my cooler box and decided to help the runners come in and to just help Levy to the finish with his last 5 km run. Some people must have thought what is this crazy white guy doing shouting to everyone passing in the middle of the road. Sorry if I distracted you but it was meant with good intentions.

Congratulations on all the finishers and all the participants. I saw so many familiar faces and it was great chatting to you all. God bless, have a great off time from tri's and duathlon's until next year. I will see you all at the "normal" races as I am preparing for the New Balance race next and will have a few shorter races fit in between. Glad to be back to my first love RUNNING!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi phillip,

too you weren't able to finish it due to a flate tire..but that's okay.all part of the game.there's always a next time.
glad you still h the event had fun.

norman

Tech Spec said...

There are just some things that is beyond our control. But hey... you did your best, and you still reaped lots of training benefits. I congratulate you too for trying your first duathlon.

Anonymous said...

hi philip,

you can always charge it to experience, what is important is that while really loving the sport, you still enjoy every minute of it. Cheering the others was really a gracious thing to do. Keep up the very positive view.

By the way, thanks for the very encouraging comment you left in my blog.


junmuego

Nora, the golden girl said...

Sad to hear about what happened Philip but I'm still happy that you enjoyed the whole experience, though things didn't turn out right. That's the SPIRIT of a true athlete.

Noticed the ad about the Iron Man Triathlon at Star Sports?

It says:

The human body is not made for this sport . . . But the SPIRIT is!

Johnny Sy said...

Hi Philip,

Sorry to hear about your flat tire experience. I guess you'll need to organize a support team so that you can replace the tire -- I hope this is allowed. But, I'm sure it was still quite an experience. I envy you -- you're already there with the other disciplines. Maybe someday I'll try the bike and swim parts as well.

Hope to you see in a race soon.

Bro J said...

Sorry to hear about the DF experience in your first duathlon. Things happened for a purpose, just be sensitive to learn the lessons in life. More races to come! God bless you bro!

Anonymous said...

Hi Philip,
I feel bad re: your mishap on your first duathlon. I'm glad though that it didn't dissuade you from doing another Du next year. I really want to thank you for cheering and encouraging me on each bike loop, most especially for running with me the last kilometer.

On to the next races.

Levy

Unknown said...

Norman, there is a reason for things to happen and it can only go better on my next dua next year. You did an excellent race bro, keep it up.

junmego, thanks for dropping by. Nothing wrong with being competitive but as soon as the enjoyment goes away, then it is not worth carrying on. May I never loose the enjoyment part of it but then again, I love the sport to much to loose the enjoyment.

Nore, it must be one of the best qoutes I have heard and will remember it forever. Great one and see you on Sunday. Read my challenge to you on your blog.

Johnny, I was scared as it can get for my first tri but you know what it is not as scary once you have done it, it is like doing the first race. When you enjoy it, you will go back for more. Will I see you on Sunday?

Broj, after it happened I was looking for the reason for the mishap and it became clear to me immediately, it is great how the Lord points out things when you have a personal relationship with Him, He is so good for us. Thanks for the encouraging comment. Sometimes we need to be brought to a stop to see what He wants us to do, it is all about Him. God bless and hopefully see you on Sunday.

Levy, brother, dont feel bad, there was a reason why it happened and eventhough it did, I know the reason and I certainly enjoyed the rest of the race. I could still finnish the last almost 5k strong with a time of 20min. I am happy with my oerformance and I was just as happy that I could assist others for a change. I need to do it more often. See you on Sunday brother. Text me when you are on your way. God bless and congrats on an excellent dua!!!