Saturday, July 19, 2008

Long run outside or inside?

I had a late night last night at a very nice Indian restaurant at Greenbelt 3, Makati. I think I ate to much though but could not get up early this morning for my "long run" - still dont know why they call it a long run as it has so much negative connotations to it already. Why not say I am going for my short run tomorrow. How many times you set your "long run" on 20km or less, and end up on 15km or less? Well sorry to disappoint you but 15km is still a long run. The difference is it became a noun??? I know maybe I get to technical but what I am trying to say is:
I arrived at UP this morning at 6:40 and after gearing up and with my new garmin 405, I started the loops. I tried to stick to the 10km UP run loop as far as possible but one loop is about 3km. I planned to do 10 laps which is 30km roughly. I ended up after 1:30 to stop after 5 laps. the sun was on me and I had no energy left. I must add, it was my first time running in such heat!!! Another quick point, why does people who walk on the closed of lane, block the runner's way and not be a bit more considerate and keep left, the same with most races?

I can easily do 20km on a treadmill in the gym but outside in the heat is something else. Does anyone know how much km you can add to your run because of the heat?

Anyway the garmin was quite a dissapointment or maybe I just don't know exactly how to use it but still prefer my forerunner 305. I at least met another runner. He is actually a tri athlete. He asked me to join their team and can even hook me up with a great deal on a bike. I am not to sure about it yet as it is something new for me. I love running to much and feels like cheating on a girlfriend (when I was still not married and younger) by getting on a bike. I will think about it and will appreciate any thoughts on this. At least another very friendly Philippino.

To end up with my question, what is the best long run:
  • inside and finish the run you set out to do or
  • run outside and fall a few short?


Whatever your answer, do it to your best ability and KEEP FIT!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,

it is always better to do what feels good for you. if you run outside but are not happy why bother doing it. might as well just stay home and get more sleep! i run in UP also and to avoid the sun i start very very early. yes 4:45 a.m. so that i can finish 3 hours later. also when the sun is out i stay in the academic oval under the trees rather than the bigger loop i make. i hope during the time you were running you were drinking plenty of fluids. good luck on your next long run and see you at Milo!

Unknown said...

Hi there,
I totally agree with you, it depends on what you enjoy. Just for ineterst sake, if your area is very poluted, will you sun on a treadmill in a gym or go to a place where it is not so poluted and do street running?

Unknown said...

Sorry for all the typos, my hand is to fast for my brain this morning. It should be interest sake and run not sun...

Johnny Sy said...

Hi FR (I'll use this acronym, it's shorter than theforeignrunner) -- I think if run early, then, pollution is not a major problem -- but I would run probably in a nice enclosed subdivision or even at U.P. Otherwise, I'll do majority of my training in the gym -- with control over speed and incline. I think running in the track at Ultra will also be good, although you'd be running on flats. It's sad that we do have pollution in the streets, especially if you have jeepneys and tricycles in your area.

Anonymous said...

hi,

if it is polluted i will stay indoors in nice aircon gym with treadmill and tv! but i run early so not much pollution yet.

Unknown said...

Johnny, I also do most of my runs in the gym but it is just not the same. I tried to google treadmill's to see what the difference is but there are a few factors like heat, on the treadmill the belt goes on its own and on the street you are up to your own motion to go forward. So my times are much different than in the gym and on the road. I will maybe just take the advice of prometheuscometh and go early in the morning. Hey prometheuscometh, what is up with that name anyway, I read something about the us cometh??? Maybe I will just call you US as Johnny calls me FR?? God bless and KEEP FIT

Anonymous said...

It's funny how most runners I know are quite skeptical to try cycling because they're either afraid to like it more than running or they think it's nothing like running. Well, to each his/her own. I started out as a cyclist so it won't apply to me, hee hee.